Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Gold Coast. The Panama City of Australia.



A couple of weekends ago, I headed to the Gold Coast for a girl’s trip. I had more fun and laughed more than I have in a while with just a bunch of girlfriends. There was no drama (well minus Nikki threatening to throw all her clothes in the rubbish bin after the Tiger Airways desk clerk told her that her suitcase weighed too much). And we spent 4 days relaxing on the beach, acting like little kids running around Dreamworld (think Six Flags of Australia) and enjoying nice dinners followed by dancing to live music at the locals. I am slowly making my way around Australia, attempting to visit everywhere worthwhile seeing. Hopefully my tales will give you some insight for that if-and-when you plan a voyage down under. For a little glimpse into the Northwest area of Australia, Gold Coast is essentially a version of Panama City mixed with Miami. We stayed in Surfer’s Paradise – so don’t get me wrong, the beach was gorgeous, great waves for surfing, but the people, oh my! the people! Not only did we feel stuck right in the middle of either an 18 year old or 60 year old crowd, we also wore more clothing to cover ourselves than they all did combined. Now I know, we are at the beach, but some things should just be left covered, if you know what I mean. And this was just the girls! The boys were no better versions than all the guys on that awful reality TV show, Jersey Shore. “Guidos” as they are so kindly referred to as, have that Latino, Miami look going on: slicked-back, gelled hair, graphic printed t-shirts and a smug look plastered on their face. Needless to say, we were not interested in talking to ANYone outside of ourselves – and I think this led to the amazing weekend that we ended up having.

Along the beachfront, they had large prints hanging on wooden boards of sunbathers in the exact same spots on the beach, beginning in the 70’s and continuing right up to modern day. It’s pretty hilarious to look back at pictures like that and realising, not much has changed with the human race, except perhaps the length of men’s swim trunks and the size of women’s hair.

Dreamworld is pretty much the same as Six Flags, and was fun to feel just like a kid for a day. A large section of the park was also a wildlife/petting zoo type exhibit – we got to see tigers, feed kangas, and of course snap pictures of my favourite – koalas. Zoo keepers were also inside a pin feeding two baby tigers with bottles (we later saw these two precious babies riding through the park in the back of a golf cart!) I don’t think I could ever get enough of seeing all these animals.




Leen, my Belgian friend from work came to meet us Friday night. She has been put on a project in Brisbane, which is just 45 minutes from the Gold Coast, so she hopped on the bus to spend the weekend with us. Friday night we saw a cool band and Saturday hung out on the beach until we were hungry enough to have a snack at a local beach bar. That night we had an amazing Japanese dinner right by the water, and then headed to Waxy’s for some more live music and dancing.

Great weekend, great place to visit – but if you do make it over here, I wouldn’t put it on the very top of your list. There are better places to see while you are here. There aren’t many differences in high-rise-condo beachfronts. Once you see one, you’ve seen them all.

Still on my list to visit in Australia are: The Whitsunday Islands, Port Douglas/Diving in the Great Barrier Reef, Cairns (pronounced Cans), Darwin down to Uluru and Ayers Rock (in the Outback), and Byron Bay. Frasier Island and Kangaroo Island are also on my to-do list. But then, there is still Fiji and New Zealand – and those are whole separate trips in themselves! Basically what I’m saying is that there are just too many places to see, and now that I have a travel bug – I want to go to as many as possible. Time to start saving money and vacation days!

At work, I am finally beginning to feel a part of the team – with projects to work on and having recognition from the exec team. Being on the Great Place to Work committee, I have been able to design a logo, create a sharepoint website and help to plan events for the team to attend outside of work. Last night we had a kick-off dinner at a restaurant in the city that I helped plan. It went really well, with an amazing turnout. It’s fun to have people around this huge office recognise who you are and congratulate you on throwing a great event. Brownie points!

Well, last highlight for me: 10 more days until I come home!!

No comments:

Post a Comment