Thursday, August 11, 2011

Laneways and Arcades

Settling into a routine of running and lifting weights, going to interviews, reading and exploring the city has done a number on my feelings and emotions, not to mention testing my inability to sit still for very long. Needless to say, I am learning invaluable lessons on patience, how to have quiet time and adjusting to the idea of having a night at home as opposed to triple booking myself per the norm in Atlanta.

Union Lane
Not only have I finished 3 books in the last two weeks, I have stopped to appreciate people passing me by on the sidewalks, made small talk with the regulars at the City Library and taking time to locate and photograph numerous unique art installations around this culturally infused city. Melbourne, know for its "laneways" and "arcades" as they call them, is an intricately woven pattern of major thoroughfares connected by these lanes and arcades famously recognized by distinguishable attributes. Union Lane, in between Little Collins and Bourke Street, is know as "PacMan Lane" due to the fact that an artist has brilliantly transformed the lane into a world of video game illustrations.

Centre Place
The Soup Place
My view from the City Library looks straight through a strangely beautiful glass etching of birds looking out to the appropriately placed Jack London suit store. Centre Place, a lane beginning to the right of Jack London is quickly becoming one of my favorite places to eat a bowl of soup at "The Soup Place," or have a skinny cap. Centre Place rivals Degraves Lane as my favorite lane, and without much explanation, you can probably tell why - because it looks like a street scene right out of Europe:

Degraves Lane

Block Arcade
Royal Arcade
Arcades around the city also act as passageways from one street across to another, but most are covered walkways lined with boutiques and restaurants, essentially small indoor malls. The most grand of these arcades: The Royal Arcade, Block Aracade and the GPO, all part of the most predominant shopping center in Melbourne. Stores built into historic buildings provides for some of the best (yet most expensive shopping adventures). Needless to say, I stick to drooling over the window displays and the magnificent architecture.

GPO
Melbourne has many tucked away shops and restaurants that are just waiting to be discovered. Even in my time walking around the city, I haven't been able to see it all. I wonder at times how so many restaurants and shops can stay in business, but at the same time, there are so many people wandering the streets during the day and relaxing over a cappuccino or a glass of wine. They either do not have jobs, or have adapted quite well the the Australians laid back attitude, that they do not feel bad taking time off work to wander through the city. Everyone is so kind here, I have rarely seen people get upset. They just shrug everything off with a "no worries mate" and carry on. So for a small glimpse into the City of Melbourne... more to be discovered and more to come...


1 comment:

  1. Ummm Degraves Lane looks amazing - you better be taking me there! FYI just finished The Girl with the Dragon Tatto and pulled it off my kindle for you to read it - it's sooo good. Slow at first, but great once you get into it. Already downloaded book two.

    ReplyDelete