Thursday, March 1, 2012

Cafe Darling

I believe I mentioned before, Cafe Darling is a cute little coffee shop I pass every morning on my walk to the train station. Outside on the sidewalk, they have an A-Frame sign with their Logo on one side, calling customers to come in for an enjoyable cup. The other side of the board is a chalkboard used to write daily, inspirational quotes.

All week, the weather has been cold and rainy, which subsequently meant there was no message on the board. Until today. I started my gorgeous, sunny, 60degree day with some yoga and news reports of the flooding currently taking place in NSW (New South Wales, the state right above Victoria where I live on the East Coast of Australia). My hopes were high for the Cafe Darling board while traipsing down the hill from my apartment to the station. As I approached, I squinted to see the message awaiting for me on that chalkboard, and it was perfect:

"As long as you live, keep on learning how to live."

My day continued to brighten once I stepped through the office doors. I confirmed my flight home on 12th of May with the airlines and cleared the dates with work! I also had a call with a Senior Manager who reached out to me for a role on his project. I will be working on an e-commerce project for Coles, one of the two largest supermarkets in Australia. After speaking with him, I was elated about the role, my responsilbites and the project we will be working on. I literally feel like Cinderalla finding her glass slipper today - all the pieces are fitting together perfectly. After confirming my role (which will start on Monday), I verified my registration for a mandatory, two week training session held in Kuala Lumpur (the largest popluated city in Malaysia) in June.

Not only did I take a risk when I moved to Australia without a job, I also took a risk by accepting a job with Accenture (mostly because the lack of my IT skills/knowledge). These past 7 months have taught me more about myself than I could ever imagine, and in areas where I had never before realized I needed to self-examine. I have met so many amazing people from all over the world with different viewpoints, thoughts, opinions and beliefs who are absolutely amazing to sit down and talk to, you just have to make the time. From the lady on the tram wanting someone to talk to about her daughter, to my new friends at work who literally moved from all over the world to begin a new career at Accenture, Melbourne. I am constantly learning. Learning about new cultures, lifestlyes, thought processes. I am also now learning a whole new side of business, now that I am part of an IT company (yes, I am surrounded by nerds!) but without this continued learning and growth, life would become dull and mundane. I am so blessed and thankful to have this experience of a lifetime.

Off to lunch at a great restuarant in the CBD and a networking event for work tonight - then its the weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment